WordPress is the most widely used Content Management System(CMS) that is available right now. Most of the Bloggers and Website designers prefer WordPress for its great features and functionalities. WordPress has lots of features which makes it very desirable to use. There will be times when we need to make changes to websites and we don’t want to show our visitors what changes we are making. We need to get the site into WordPress Maintenance Mode.
WordPress Maintenance Mode can be activated to make changes to websites without actually taking the whole site down. We can make changes to the site and preview them in real time while showing a message to our visitors. Yes we can show a “UNDER Maintenance” message to the visitors and then only the admins can view the websites and make any changes without taking the site down completely.
It is always a good idea to put the website into Maintenance Mode before making any changes to the site,big or small routine changes. Using a WordPress Maintenance Mode Plugin can help you do it. We can give information to our visitors about the ongoing maintenance and on the back-end to make the changes we need.
These plugins can be used to show a “Coming Soon” Page as well. Coming Soon is useful when setting up a new Website and want to welcome visitors to the new Website. Once a Domain in brought and WordPress is just installed, it takes time to design and complete the whole website, a Coming Soon Page will come in handy.
Also Read: How to Change WordPress URL
It is good to do all kinds of maintenance works during the time when the number of visitors are less,so that you might not have much impact on the websites visitors.
Best WordPress Maintenance Mode Plugins
These are some of the BEST Maintenance Mode/Coming Soon Page Plugins that are available for WordPress. All the plugins are FREE and available in the WordPress Repository.
1. Coming Soon Page & Maintenance Mode by SeedProd:
Create a simple Coming Soon Page or Maintenance Mode Page. Work on your site in provite while visitors see a “Coming Soon” or “Maintenance Mode” page.
Benefits, Features and Options:
- Uses WordPress Best Practices
- BuddyPress Support
- Multisite Support
- Translation Ready, i18n Support
- Uses HTML5 & CSS3
- Easily add Custom CSS and HTML
- Customize the Look and Feel
- Works with any WordPress Theme
2. Under Construction:
A simple, no-nonsense plugin for all those situations when you have to hide the site behind an Under Construction page for a while.
- Under construction mode – off / on
- End date & time – automatically disable construction mode on a set date
- Google Analytics Tracking ID – enable tracking via Google Analytics
- Theme – a new one is added with each update, see screenshots of available themes
- Custom CSS – adjust any part of the page to fit your needs
- Title – page title, for SEO
- Description – page description, for SEO
- Headline – main headline/title
- Content – anything you need to display, from styled text to images
- Login Button – show a descrete link to the login form, or WP admin if you’re logged in
- Social icons/links – new ones are added with every update;
3. Ultimate Maintenance Mode:
- Works with any WordPress theme
- Allows you to work on your site while non logged in visitors see the Maintenance Mode page
- Automatically Creates a Screenshot of your Website and uses it as the background for your maintenance mode page.
- Ability to add a Custom Headline, Message & Background Image
- Returns a 503 http status and retry header so search engines know your site is down.
- Simple and Easy to Use
- Multisite Support
- Translation Ready – i18n Support
4. Minimal Coming Soon & Maintenance Mode:
The Minimal Coming Soon & Maintenance Mode plugin allows you to quickly and easily set up a Coming Soon or Launch Page for your website.
It’s simple + flexible and works with any WordPress theme & plugin Plus you have full control over the frontend of the website and can modify almost every aspect of it per your preference.
- Works with all WordPress themes and plugins
- Completely customizable look and feel including background color, cover image, fonts etc
- Each and every element of the maintenance page can be configured
- Option to preview the maintenance page before activation
- Rearrange position of the page elements to your liking
- W3 Total Cache and WP Super Cache Support
- Easily add Custom CSS and HTML
5. Slim Maintenance Mode:
Slim Maintenance Mode is a lightweight solution for scheduled maintenance. Simply activate the plugin and only administrators can see the website.
- No extra settings, just activate it, do maintenance work, deactivate it.
- Alert message in the backend, when the plugin is active.
- Works with any theme.
- Support for the following cache plugins: Cachify, Super Cache and W3 Total Cache.
- Sends HTTP response status code
503 Service Unavailable, especially relevant for search engines.
- Available in seven languages: English, Russian, German, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish.
If you are planning on a new WordPress Website, Try creating the website Offline in your local machine and then uploading the finished Website to the Web Hosting Server. We can experiment and make needed changes with great ease.
For any further queries or doubts….do comment below.