UPI stands for Unified Payment Interface which was recently developed by The Government of India. UPI enables fast and secure mode for transferring money from Banks. Lets get started on How to Transfer money, Do recharges, Pay bills and Insurance Online using the UPI method.
So What is this UPI? Before the Introduction of UPI, for transferring money from BANKS we need details like the Account Number, Account holders Name, Bank IFSC Code etc. This is a bit of a lengthy process for transferring money. UPI transactions are done using just the phone number which is registered with your bank. People are given Virtual Payment Address(VPA) which will be their identity for transactions. The VPA will be unique for all.
UPI is still not available for all Banks but more Banks are being added as UPI is the Future of Payments in India. The List of Banks that currently provide UPI services are:
– Allahabad Bank
– Andhra Bank
– Axis Bank
– Bank of Baroda
– Bank of India
– Bank of Maharashtra
– Canara Bank
– Catholic Syrian Bank
– Central Bank of India
– DCB Bank
– Dena Bank
– Federal Bank
– HDFC Bank
– ICICI Bank
– IDBI Bank
– IDFC Bank
– Indian Bank
– Indian Overseas Bank
– IndusInd Bank
– Karnataka Bank
– Karur Vysya Bank
– Kotak Mahindra Bank
– Oriental Bank of Commerce
– Punjab National Bank
– RBL Bank
– South Indian Bank
– Standard Chartered Bank
– State Bank of India
– Syndicate Bank
– UCO Bank
– Union Bank of India
– United Bank of India
– Vijaya Bank
– Yes Bank Ltd
Before Beginning let me say something,
Online Payment is nothing to be scared of. Its highly SECURE and RELIABLE. Do it the right way and you don’t need to be worried about any risk.
All the Banks are having their own UPI enabled Apps. But using a single app that supports all the Banks is good.
Download the UPI APP:
How to Create Account in App for UPI Services:
- Download the PhonePe App from Google Play(Link Above).
- Open the App and Signup with your Bank-Registered Mobile Number.
- If you are using a Dual-SIM Mobile, Make sure to select the correct Mobile Number.
- You will be asked to create a PIN for logging in to the App.
- After verification is set, select the Bank from the list of available Banks.
- If the Mobile Number is properly linked, the App will pull out the details of the Account related with the Mobile Number.
- You have Successfully Added you Bank Account.
- We can add more than a Bank account from the Menu.
- If there are more Bank accounts added, One Account should be selected as your default or primary Account. You can always switch between accounts.
For people who just want to SEND and RECIEVE Money using UPI, Here is a simple and Small UPI App developed in Public Interest by Government of India:
How to Create M-PIN for UPI Transactions:
UPI payments are processed by using M-PIN which is basically a 4 or 6 digit number which act as a Password for all our UPI transactions.
- Head over to Bank Accounts section from the menu.
- There will be option to create or reset your UPI PIN.
- Go ahead and create UPI Pin using your Debit Card details.
- Select a PIN.
- Done. You have successfully created UPI PIN.
**Don’t forget the PIN as it will be used for all the transactions on UPI. Also the PIN created first for logging into App is not your UPI PIN, it is used for logging into the App only.
How to Transfer Money using UPI:
- From the Home page, select Send.
- You can either choose from your contacts or enter the persons Phone Number or his/her VPA.
- Select the Phone Number or Add and select a VPA.
- Enter the Amount for sending.
- If you have more than one Bank Account, Choose the account from which money should be deducted for the transaction.
- Enter a Remarks if you need.
- Click SEND and enter the UPI PIN.
- Viola, you have done you first UPI Transaction.
NOTE: If you are sending it to a persons number, he/she needs to have PhonePe installed as well.
How to Recharge, Pay Bills using UPI:
- From Home page navigate to Recharge Section.
- Select the Phone number to be recharged.
- Enter the Amount.
- Click Recharge and Enter the UPI PIN.
- Same is the case with paying Bills, Recharging DTH, Paying Insurance Premium etc.
For More Details and Frequently Asked Questions. Visit Official NPCI Website
If you have any doubts or clarifications please do comment below! We do our best to clear them.