There are many tuts about Implementing CloudFlare Free SSL for WordPress, But some of them are causing troubles and errors. In this tutorial I am going to explain the PROPER way to Easily and Safely Implement CloudFlare Free SSL For WordPress. I Personally used the method to successfully implement a HTTPS* Secure connection on this blog.
*HTTPS- Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure.
Google has announced that SSL will be a factor that affects Ranking and so having a Secure Connection would definitely improve your presence on Google. Shortly Google might even stop support for Non-secure Websites. SSL Certificates are always expensive and difficult to Install until CloudFlare Introduced its Free SSL Certificates which can be easily Installed and configured.
What is SSL?
SSL (Secure Socket Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This secure link ensures that all data transferred remains private. It’s also called TLS (Transport Layer Security). Millions of websites use SSL encryption everyday to secure connections and keep their customer’s data safe from monitoring and tampering.
Why Use SSL?
Every website on the Internet should be served over HTTPS. Here’s why:
- Performance: Modern SSL can actually improve page load times.
- Search Ranking Boost: Search engines favor HTTPS websites.
- Security: Encrypting traffic with SSL ensures nobody can snoop on your users’ data.
- Trust: By displaying a green lock in the browser’s address bar, SSL increases visitor’s trust.
- Regulatory Compliance: SSL is a key component in PCI compliance.
reference: CloudFlare SSL
Setup a Free CloudFlare Account:
- Visit CloudFlare.
- Sign Up for a FREE Account.
- Add your Website.
- Click on “Crypto” Option.
- The First Option will SSL. Choose Flexible SSL.
- Wait for the Certificate to be Active.
Configuring WordPress for SSL:
We will be needing plugins for Implementing CloudFlare Free SSL for WordPress. The process is pretty simple.
- Download and Install the Plugins From below or Add New Plugin and Search by there Name.
- Activate Both Plugins.
- CloudFlare Flexible SSL Plugin doesn’t need any Configuration.
- Configure the HTTPS Plugin as Set Proxy as Yes and Leave other settings as it is.
Set CloudFlare to Force HTTPS:
- Goto CloudFlare and Select Page Rules Option from menu.
- Add new Page Rule as below:
- Enter URL as : http://*yourdomain.com/*
- Add setting: Always Use HTTPS
Change Website URL from WordPress:
- Go to WordPress General Settings.
- Set WordPress URL as http://yourdomain.com
- Set Site Address URL as https://yourdomain.com
- Save Settings.
!!!IMPORTANT!!!Make sure you set the Addresses very Clearly or else you might get locked out and cannot access WordPress Dashboard.
You have successfully set up CloudFlare Free SSL for your WordPress Website. Check for proper working and see if you see any errors. Also if you have manually configures Logo URLs, you might want to change the links from “http://” to “https://” .
HTTPS is very important now a days. Even google is forcing everyone to setup Secure Http connection for their websites. Google Chrome will show a “Not Secure” badge for these websites, which is not a good thing and it fears the visitors. The best way to implement SSL or HTTPS for your website is by using the CloudFlare SSL, which is a Free SSL Certificate and can be installed very easily. Follow the guide properly.
This is the method I have personally used to Implement SSL in all my Websites and Blogs and never had an Issue what so ever. But if you are getting any sorts of Error, I am always here to help. just comment below!